Temporary event notice

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) can authorise a person to supply alcohol, provide regulated entertainment and late night refreshment for up to seven consecutive days. Before submitting a TEN for regulated entertainment, it is best to check what is and what is not considered to be regulated entertainment at the Gov.uk website. More useful information can be found in our Event organisers information sheet.

You may apply for up to five TENs per calendar year. However, if you hold a personal licence you may apply for up to 50.  Only people over 18 years can use a TEN.

A TEN can only cover events lasting up to 168 consecutive hours and where there are no more than 499 people present.  Premises can host no more than 15 events, or 21 days worth of events, per calendar year.

You can apply and pay for a TEN online or download the TEN application form and send it into us with your payment.

You must return two copies to us along with a fee of £21. You must also send a copy to the Police Licensing Bureau and a copy to Environmental Protection at the Council - addresses can be found in the notes section of the application form.

You must do this at least 10 clear working days before the event. This period does not include the day of the event and the day we receive your notice.

If you miss the deadline, you can serve a 'late temporary event notice'. This must be received no later than 5 clear working days before the event. You can only serve two late notices in a single calendar year and these will count against the 5 you can have per calendar year or 50 if you hold a personal licence.

If your notice is received in time, we will send you an acknowledged copy. You will also receive a receipt for the fee.

Unless we are contacted by either the Police or Environmental Protection, if they have concerns regarding crime and disorder or public nuisance, you will be authorised to hold your event.

We will aim to respond to your TEN application within one working day.

Laws and regulation

You are required to serve a Temporary Event Notice under the Licensing Act 2003.