Transfer a premises licence

If you want to take control of a licensed premises by becoming the licence holder, you will need to apply to transfer the licence into your name.

A premises licence holder can be one or more individuals, a business or an organisation. You must be aged 18 or over.

You can apply to transfer the premises licence online or download the premises licence transfer application form and send it to us, once you have completed it. If you wish for the application to take immediate effect from when we receive it, you must tick the appropriate box in part three of the form.

You must also fill out a consent form to show that you have the former licence holder's consent. Please submit both forms and the original premises licence to us with a fee of £23.

If you also need to vary the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) please also complete and include the vary DPS application form and submit this with your transfer application.  Information about this can be found on the Change a Designated Premises Supervisor page.

A copy of each form must also be sent to the Police at the following address:

Liquor Licensing Bureau
PO Box 3259
Kenneth Steele House
Feeder Road

Once we receive your application, we begin a 14 day notice period in which the Police may object to the application. We will issue you a new licence when this period has finished, providing there are no objections.

Please note: you will be contacted by a member of the team if there are any unpaid annual licences fees and once the transfer application is completed, you will become responsible for payment. Failure to pay the annual fee can result in suspension of the licence so it is important you discuss licence fees with the outgoing licence holder before taking on the business.

Laws and regulation

You are required to make this application under the Licensing Act 2003.