Riding establishment licence

If you run a business that keeps horses and you let them out for riding or instruction for payment, then you will need to have a riding establishment licence.

Anyone over the age of 18 can apply for a riding establishment licence, but must not be disqualified from keeping a riding establishment or from keeping or having custody of animals.

You can apply for a riding establishment licence online via the Gov.uk website.  Alternatively you can download the riding establishment licence application form and, once you have completed it, send it into us with the relevant fee and proof that you hold public liability insurance.

A veterinary inspector on the current RCVS/BVA Inspectorate will also need to visit your premises and carry out and inspection. They will need to complete the veterinary inspector report form.

The cost to apply for the grant of a riding establishment licence is £358. The cost to apply for a further licence is £340.  All veterinary costs will need to be met by you.

You can find out how the Council constructs its fees by downloading the document Guidance on fee construction.

We will either grant a full years licence or grant a provisional licence that lasts for three months. A full licence will start on the 1st of January and expire on the 31st of December. We will send you the form to apply for a further licence before the current licence expires.  A provisional licence is normally granted if there is not complete confidence in you to comply with the standard licence conditions.

We can grant a second provisional licence for a further three months but no more than two in 12 months.

Please Note:

With effect from 1st October 2018, The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 update a number of licensing provisions. Anyone with an existing animal related business or planning a business should read the regulations and the guidance notes which accompany them.

The following guidance have been published:

Guidance Notes for Hiring out Horses 2018

Laws and regulation

Riding Establishments are licensed under The Riding Establishments Act 1964 and The Riding Establishments Act 1970.