Unlicensed boarding or breeding of animals

If a household is boarding dogs and cats for others and charging for it then they need to have a licence.  If someone is running a dog breeding business from home they will also require a licence.

To qualify for a licence the business owner must be over 18 years of age and not disqualified from keeping an animal boarding establishment or from keeping or having custody of animals.

If you know someone who is doing either of these things and you suspect they don’t have a licence you can report unlicensed boarding or breeding to us online.

We will investigate these reports to check if the premises has a licence.

Laws and regulation

Animal Boarding licences are granted under The Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.  Dog breeding licences are granted under the Breeding of Dogs Act 1973 and the Breeding of Dogs Act 1991 and the Breeding and Sale of Dogs (Welfare) Act 1999.

Report unlicensed boarding or breeding

You can report unlicensed boarding or breeding to us online

Report it