Recovery of overpaid Housing Benefit

There are several ways we can recover overpayments of Housing Benefit:

Weekly deductions

If you still get Housing Benefit, we can take money from your ongoing weekly benefit award. There are legal limits to how much we can take each week. 

If we're taking so much each week that it's causing you a serious problem, phone us on 01823 356530 or complete a Request to Reduce form asking to reduce the weekly deduction.

It is important to remember that if we pay your Housing Benefit directly to your landlord, the amount your landlord gets while we are taking deductions will not be enough to cover your rent. You must pay your landlord the shortfall so you don’t fall into rent arrears.

If you would prefer to repay your overpayment as a one-off payment, phone us on 01823 356530 and ask us for an invoice instead.

Rent account

For council tenants, if your rent account is in credit (that is, you've paid more rent that you already owe) we may take this credit off the account. But we won't put your account into arrears (take more than the credit so you owe more rent).

Using other money we owe you

If we owe you benefit to pay for some other period, we can keep the money and use it to repay what we have overpaid you.

Other ways we can get the money back


We may send you an invoice. Please pay it within 28 days. If you can't pay it all at once, we can arrange instalments, and there are several ways you can pay. But if we don't hear from you or you don't make payments when they are due, we will take further action to get the money back from you. This could include:

Make a payment online