The Somerset Building Control Partnership provides building control services on behalf of Mendip District Council, Sedgemoor District Council, Taunton Deane Borough Council and West Somerset Council.
Building Control is a statutory service offering independent specialist construction advice, Building Regulation application approval, site inspection and enforcement under the national Building Regulations and associated legislation. Other services include dangerous structures, demolition applications, and an access officer for the disabled.
Our friendly helpful team of highly qualified Building Control Surveyors and Technical Support Staff provide impartial advice and assistance to the public, agents, architects, builders, developers, and other professionals. We are committed to maintaining the highest standards in the design, approval and construction of buildings.
Visit the Somerset Building Control Partnership website for further information.
Building work is:
- The erection or extension of a building
- Material alteration of a building
- The provision or alteration of building gas installations, electrical installations, plumbing, cooling, ventilation, heating and hot water systems, including heating controls, known as controlled services or fittings
- Work to buildings where there is a change of use eg conversion forming a dwelling, flat, hotel, shop, public building, etc
- Work to buildings where there is a change in the numbers of dwellings or rooms used for residential purposes eg (rooms where people live and sleep)
- The insertion of cavity wall insulation
- Underpinning of a building
- Replacement windows, doors and roof lights, where new frames and glazing are provided
- Alterations to a buildings thermal envelope eg roof / walls /ceilings/ ground floors etc
- Changing a building energy status eg heating a previously unheated part of a building or a garage conversion etc
- Consequential improvements to a buildings thermal performance
These nationally applied standards cover the following areas and can apply to new buildings, extensions and existing building alterations.
- Structure - controls building structural stability
- Fire Safety - provides for safe means of escape in case of a fire and other fire related issues ie fire spread control, fire resistance of construction and access for fire fighting
- Site Preparation and Resistance to Contaminants / Moisture - controls building on contaminated sites, methods of preventing dampness entering buildings and the prevention of condensation damage
- Toxic Substances - restricts toxic substance use in buildings
- Resistance to the Passage of Sound - provides for minimum sound insulation provisions to both new and converted dwellings, residential premises and schools
- Means of Ventilation - requires adequate provisions to ventilate both domestic and commercial buildings
- Ventilation - requires adequate provisions to ventilate both domestic and commercial buildings
- Hygiene - requires minimum sanitary provisions to buildings
- Drainage and Waste Disposal - ensures both above and below ground level building drainage is effective and requires measures to be adopted to prevent water contamination
- Heat Producing Appliances - controls all forms of heating appliances ie gas fires / boilers / open coal fires etc (other than electric)
- Stairways, Ramps and Guarding- provides for the safe design of stairs and ramps and precautions to prevent people falling out of buildings
- Conservation of Fuel and Power - requires minimum standards of thermal insulation, energy saving heating, cooling systems, ventilation systems and lighting controls
- Access to and use of Buildings - provides for reasonable provisions to be made for people to gain access to and use both domestic and non-domestic buildings
- Glazing Materials and Protection - provides for safety / safe breaking glass to prevent cutting injuries and provisions to prevent people walking into large glazed areas
- Electrical Safety - controls the design, installation and testing of electrical installations in dwellings
Application forms and charge advice on Building Regulation application approval, site inspection and enforcement under the national Building Regulations and associated legislation, can all be found on the Somerset Building Control Partnership website.