Appeal against your Council Tax bill

If you disagree with any decision we make on your Council Tax, including a decision we make on Council Tax Support, you can appeal against it.

You can appeal if you think:

If you want to appeal against your Council Tax band, follow the guidance on the website.

If you want to appeal about a completion notice because you do not think your property was finished, or could have been finished, by the date the Council has given, you should contact us to discuss a revised completion date. If we cannot agree a new completion date, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. This must be done within four weeks of us sending you the completion notice.

For all other appeals, please write to us stating your name and address, the property in question, the decision you are appealing against and why. Please provide a daytime telephone number or an e-mail address as we may ask for further information and this can help speed things up.

We will look at the decision again to see if we can change it. We will write to tell you the outcome of our review.

If you still disagree with our decision after a review, or you do not hear from us within two months, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service. You will need to fill in an Valuation Tribunal ServiceĀ appeal form which you can download or fill in online.

You must continue to pay your Council Tax as shown on your bill while your appeal is being considered.

If you win your appeal and you overpay Council Tax, we will refund you.

Appeals to either the Valuation Office Agency or Valuation Tribunal Service are free and they cannot award costs against you if you lose.

However, you do have to meet your own costs in attending the hearing and will also have to pay if you instruct an agent to represent you.

Appeal against your Council Tax band

You can appeal against your Council Tax band on the website.

Challenge your band