Food complaints

We can investigate complaints relating to standards in food premises within the district and food that is unfit, contaminated or contains foreign bodies. eg. insects, metal or glass. A formal investigation of complaints can only be carried out where there is reasonable evidence of a food safety offence.

If you have a complaint;

If you would like us to investigate the food complaint then you must have the following information in order for us to carry out the investigation:

Officers will only investigate your complaint from a criminal point of view. Any claims for compensation or refunds are a matter between the complainant and the retailer or manufacturer. However, on completion of an investigation, and with your permission, we can release your name to the food business who may then wish to write or compensate you.

We do not deal with complaints about:

If you have a complaint of this nature you should contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service (CACS) who can give you guidance and forward your issue on to the relevant body. CACS can be contacted by phone on 03454 040506 or you can report an issue to CACS online.