Occasional use notice

If you are a licensed betting operator and want to use a track for a short period for conducting betting, you can submit an occasional use notice when the event taking place is of a temporary, infrequent nature.

An occasional use notice covers betting on a track for up to eight days in a calendar year.

A track is described in the Gambling Act 2005 as a horse-race course, dog track or other premises on any part of which a race or other sporting event takes place or is intended to take place.

You can only submit an occasional use notice if you are responsible for the administration of events on the track or the occupier of the track.  There is no cost for an occasional use notice.

To apply please download an application form for an occasional use notice and, once completed, send it to us.  The notice must specify the day on which it has effect.  You must also send a copy of the notice to the police at: 

Liquor Licensing Bureau
PO Box 3259
Kenneth Steele House
Feeder Road

As long as the notice will not result in betting being available for more than eight days in a calendar year, your notice cannot be objected to.

Once we receive the notice we will send you an acknowledgement.

Laws and regulation

Occasional use notices are submitted under Section 39 of the Gambling Act 2005.