Accidents at work

If you are an employer, self-employed or in control of a work premises it is a legal requirement to report certain accidents.

You should report accidents to the Health and Safety Executives (HSE) Incident Contact Centre on the RIDDOR website.

The information you report help us to identify risks and to investigate serious accidents.  We can help you to take preventative actions to reduce the chance of injury, ill health and accidental loss.

The responsible person should complete the appropriate online form which will then be submitted directly to the RIDDOR database.  You will receive a copy for your records.

All incidents can be reported online but a telephone service is also provided for reporting fatal/specified and major incidents only.  Call the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm).

The local authority enforcement officers and the HSE are not an emergency service.

More information on when and how to report very serious or dangerous incidents can be found by visiting the ways to contact HSE webpage.  If you want to report less serious incidents out of normal working hours, you can always complete an online form.

Please visit the HSE’s Riddor webpage to find further information about all aspects of reporting accidents in the workplace.

Laws and regulation

There is a legal requirement to report certain accidents in the workplace under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR) Regulations 2013.