Holding a street party

If you intend to hold a street party to celebrate a major national event you will need to notify the Council.

Any event that falls within Taunton Deane Borough Council's general definition of a street party as;

Street parties should be fun events enjoyed by the community.  We hope to do our bit by smoothing the path for community groups and neighbourhoods planning an outdoor get-together.

Anyone can apply to hold a small private street party or small community event.

Organising small, private street parties is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as the sale of alcohol or food.

The number one tip for holding a party is to plan early, think about what you want to achieve and get in touch with us at least six weeks in advance, but preferably a little more.

You can download an application for a street party or small community event and once you have completed the application form please return it to us.

If your event requires the road you intend to hold your party in to be closed, the necessary information will be taken from your application form and processed by the us.  You do not need to submit a separate form for this.

Once the completed application form and any supporting documents have been received the we will liaise with the relevant authorities and find out the need for further consents or a road closure.  We may require further information to be submitted to assist in the processing of your application.

There is no fee payable for the combined application for a street party and road closure.  If we determine that any additional consents are required for example a temporary event notice these will attract the normal fees for the type of application.

Larger events that are open to anyone to attend or are publicised in local newspapers or similar may require a licence.  Also if it is your intention to provide a pay bar at the event then a temporary event notice will be required or if the sale of goods (including food) is going to take place then a street trading consent will be required

More helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event can be found on the Streets Alive website and The Big Lunch website.

We are happy to meet street party organisers or community groups to explain how to plan and prepare.

Applicants should allow 4 -6 weeks for the application to be considered fully and processed.

Laws and regulation

Road closures are granted under the Town Police Clauses Act 1847.