Change designated premises supervisor

A premises that is licensed to sell alcohol must have a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). If the DPS changes from the person named on the licence then you will need to apply to vary the licence to change the person who is named.

The DPS is a person who is named on the premises licence for a premises which sells alcohol. They are responsible for authorising the sale of alcohol.

The application can only be made by the premises licence holder, or an agent on behalf of the licence holder.

The person who is to be the new DPS must hold a personal licence, issued to them by the local council for the area where they live. For them to have a personal licence, they must also hold the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders.

You can apply to change a DPS online or you can download the application to vary DPS form. Once downloaded, if you want the application to take immediate effect from when we receive it, you must tick the appropriate box in part two of the form. You must also fill out the DPS consent form to show that the person to be named as the DPS has given their consent. You must submit both forms and the original premises licence to us with a fee of £23. A copy of each form must also be sent to the police, address:

Liquor Licensing Bureau
PO Box 3115

The fee to change a DPS is £23. 

Once we have received and checked your application a 14 day notice period will then begin in which the police may object to the application. We will issue you a new licence when this period has finished, if there are no objections.

We will issue your licence no later than 14 days after the consultation period finishes.

Laws and regulation

The Licensing Act 2003 requires any premises that sells alcohol to have an appointed DPS and are granted under the Licensing Act 2003.