Appeal against a Housing Benefit decision

Housing Benefit is a national welfare benefit which helps people on low incomes pay their rent. We are responsible for administering the Housing Benefit scheme on behalf of the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Housing Benefit is a means tested benefit. That means we take your income, savings and investments into account when we work out your Housing Benefit using Government rules.

If you want to know more information about a decision or you think it is wrong and want us to look at it again, you can either:

You must do this within one month of the date on the decision letter.

Otherwise, you can formally appeal against our decision.  You must appeal in writing within one month of the date of our decision. Tell us which decision you are appealing against and why you think it is wrong. 

We will look at the decision again to see if we can change it. We will write to tell you the outcome of our review.

If we cannot change our decision in your favour, we will ask HM Courts and Tribunal Service to set up an independent tribunal to hear your case.  We will send you a copy of our submission.

You can choose whether you want an oral (spoken) hearing or a paper based hearing. The tribunal (normally one legally qualified person) will make a decision on your appeal.

If you wish to appeal against a Council Tax Support decision, see our Appeal against your Council Tax bill web page.