Report a change for benefits
If you are getting Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you must tell us about changes in your circumstances.
The types of changes we need to know about:
- Changes to your or your partner's income, tax credit, capital or savings, including getting a new benefit or a benefit ending
- You or someone living with you starting work
- Changes to the income of any other adults living with you, including getting a new benefit or a benefit ending
- When any of your children leave school or start work
- If you are a private tenant, any changes to your tenancy agreement or rent
- When a dependant child, non-dependant or partner leaves or moves in
- When a sub-tenant or boarder moves in, leaves or you change the amount of rent you charge them
This list is not a complete list. If in doubt, contact us on 01823 356321.
If you are already getting one of these six benefits:
- Housing Benefit
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit
- Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- Jobseekers Allowance (income-based)
... and you have a change in your circumstances which means you need to make a new claim for one of the benefits, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit.
For example, if you currently get Housing Benefit and Jobseekers Allowance and you move into work and would otherwise claim Tax Credits, you will need to claim Universal Credit. The help towards your rent would come from Universal Credit, not Housing Benefit. If you currently get Council Tax Support from us, you will continue to get help towards your Council Tax bill from the Council.
How to report a change
- Complete our online change of circumstance form
- Telephone the Benefits Advice Team on 01823 356321. Our dedicated team of Benefits Officers will be able to tell you what information we need to reassess your award. We will be happy to make an appointment with you to help speed things up.
- Visit our help desks at The Deane House. If you have all the information we need to reassess your award, you can leave with a new decision on your claim. Ask us about our 'There and Then' service.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Write to us at: PO Box 582, Taunton TA1 1NG.