Council Tax exemptions
Some properties are exempt from Council Tax.
You may not have to pay if your property is not occupied and:
- It is owned by a charity
- It was left unoccupied by a student
- It has been repossessed
- It is being held by a bankrupt’s trustee
- It is a caravan pitch or boat mooring
- Occupation is reserved for a minister of religion
- The occupant is now in prison
- The occupant is now in a care home or hostel
- The occupant has left to receive or provide care elsewhere
- The former occupant has died
- Occupation is prohibited by law
- Planning law prevents an annexe being let
You may not have to pay if your property is only occupied by:
- Students or is a student hall of residence
- People aged under 18 years
- People with severe mental impairment
- A diplomat and their dependants
- A dependant relative in an annexe
- Visiting Armed Forces personnel or is used for Armed Forces accommodation
Some exemptions are time-limited and exceptions may apply.
To apply for an exemption, email email@example.com.