How do I become a councillor?

Guidance for candidates and agents can be found on the Electoral Commission website.

You can stand as a candidate at a Borough Council Election if you are:-
A British citizen, or a citizen of the Irish Republic, the Commonwealth or another member state of the European Union; and you are at least 18 years old on the day you hand in your nomination papers.
You also have to meet at least ONE of the following four criteria:

You are elected for four years – unless you choose to resign within that time.

Is there any reason why I cannot stand for election?

A person is disqualified from standing for election to the Borough Council if he/she:-

The full range of disqualifications for candidates at local elections is complex and candidates are advised to consult relevant legislation.

How do I get nominated?

You can nominate yourself as candidate once the Election is advertised. If you are eligible, you will need to complete a nomination form, which needs to be supported by ten registered electors from within the electoral area where you are standing as a candidate.

Before you officially submit your nomination, the Electoral Services team will if required, by appointment, carry out an informal check of your paperwork to make sure it is correct before you submit it.

You will also need to sign a candidate consent form for nomination which comprises part of the nomination pack.
If you are standing as a Political candidate, you and your Political Party have to complete the Political Party Authorisation Form.
A candidate can stand using the description "Independent", but IF a person wishes to use a description or stand as a member of a Political Party you will need to complete an authorisation form or use a similar form obtained from the relevant Political Party to gain permission to use the relevant party description.

Should you wish to use a Political Party emblem it is also necessary for a candidate to sign the form to authorise the use of the emblem to appear next to the name on the ballot paper.

Once your nomination form is complete, you will need to return it to:-
Electoral Services, Taunton Deane Borough Council, The Deane House, Belvedere Road, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1HE.

When returning a nomination paper, it is advisable to make an appointment and hand them directly to a member of the Electoral Services team.

How much can I spend during my election campaign?

The amount you are allowed to spend during your campaign is determined by the number of electors in your area. You will be allowed to spend £740, plus an additional 6 pence for every elector on the register for you particular electoral Ward.
Any money you spend on goods or services which you use once you have become a candidate will count against this limit, and must be declared.

You will have to account for all your expenditure at the end of the election and submit a return of your expenses within a legal deadline.