Caravan site licence

If you wish to site caravans on a piece of land, for human habitation, for more than 28 days you need to apply for a licence. The person who owns or occupies the land must make the application.

Caravan Site Licences apply to:

Before you apply, you must have appropriate planning permission under Part III of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 or a certificate of lawful use (CLEUD). Without planning permission, we cannot issue you a licence.

The 2008 model standards for caravan sites contains more information about applying for a caravan site licence.

You can apply for a caravan site licence online at website or download the caravan site licence application form and return it to us with your payment of £166.

The cost to transfer a caravan site licence is £30.

You can find out how the Council constructs its fees by downloading the document Guidance on fee construction.

Once we have received your completed application, we will consult the Fire Service.
We have two months to issue you the licence. If we fail to do so, the licence is considered to be granted and we will not be able to attach any conditions to it. If we issue the licence before the two months has expired, we can attach a number of different conditions to the licence, covering areas like:

We will aim to issue your licence within two months.

Laws and regulation

Caravan site licences are controlled by the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.