Street naming and numbering

The Council has a duty under the Public Health Act 1925 for the naming and numbering of new developments and renaming of properties.

We aim to complete name changes and single developments within 10 working days.

The address of a property is becoming a very important issue. Organisations such as Royal Mail, the utilities, delivery companies, emergency services and the general public need an efficient and accurate means of locating and referencing properties. Without a correct registered address it can be difficult to open bank accounts and obtain credit etc. You can check your registered address on the Royal Mail website.

If your address is correct on the Royal Mail website and you are experiencing problems with mail delivery you should contact Royal Mail customer services. Please note that some delivery problems are as a result of not displaying the correct property number and/or name prominently on the property - is the signing for your property adequate?

Developing a single or small site

If you are a developer of a new property (single or small development), you should contact us as soon as you commence work on site. A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. If the property is within a numbered road, then often ABCs are used with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C....)

If the street has named properties, then the development plot numbers will be used initially to register the property address and subsequently, when the new owner chooses a name, we will follow our standard process of Property Name Change.

This information is then sent to Royal Mail, and relevant Council services.

Developing a large estate

If you are a developer of a large estate, you should contact us as soon as you commence work on site so that we can process the naming of any new streets and the numbering of your new properties without delay. We will check your suggested street names for duplication in the local area and consult Town/Parish Councils where relevant.

When we have agreed names, we will register them and prepare a numbering schedule. The information is then sent to Royal Mail, and relevant Council services. You will also be sent a copy of the naming and numbering schedule from which we would ask you to inform all your prospective purchasers of their new property address. Where appropriate, you will be asked to provide new street name plates to our standard specification.

For further details and an application form please see our Street Naming and Numbering Guidelines booklet.

Can I name my house without telling the Council?

If a property is already numbered, a property owner can additionally name their property without contacting the Council although they are strongly advised to do so in order to avoid conflict with an existing property name in that locality. The property name in this case will not form part of the official property address, and the property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence; for example

'My House' (not part of official address)
1 My Road (official address)

You need to seek permission from the Council if there is no number allocated in the official address (for example if the property has been allocated a name as part of its official address).

How do I name my house?

In the case of addresses where there is no number allocated, the allocated name does form part of the official address. In this instance property owners wishing to change the property name need to put their request in writing, stating their name, the present full address of the property and their new preferred name. If you are moving into a property and wish to re-name the property following your move, you should indicate your moving date.

We will check our information systems and if the proposed name does not conflict with any other in use in the area, then the new address is registered and you will be informed accordingly. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will contact you to discuss it.

The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, Emergency Services, and relevant Council Services. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts etc.

What if a street needs renaming or renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when:

In such instances it is the responsibility of those requesting a change to canvass existing residents and conduct a ballot of the local residents on the issue. This will ensure that residents' views are taken into account and the results must be submitted to the Council. In addition they must consult the Royal Mail for their position on the issue. To change a street name we will require 75 percent support from the local residents affected on the issue as any subsequent change can be very disruptive and cause individuals to have to change all their personal address details. This is a very time consuming process and can be very emotive for those involved and should therefore only be contemplated as a last resort.

Who can apply to register or change an address?

An individual or developer building new houses, commercial or industrial premises or undertaking conversions which result in the creation of new properties or premises.

The owner of a property can add a name or register a property not previously registered.

How much does it cost?

Applications should be made by completing the relevant application form.

Where there may be problems accurately locating the existing property, a site location plan will be required, with the property clearly marked.

For developments, a layout plan showing the road layout, plot numbers and any suggested house numbers (or names) is also required (maximum size of A3 and submitted in electronic format if possible). For developments that include flats, internal layout plans are also required. Full details of the proposal should be set out clearly in your application.

Applications for new addresses should be submitted as soon as possible after planning permission has been granted. Delays may result in difficulties with marketing and utilities.